Monday, February 28, 2011

A little obedience here


I haven’t been able to share with some of you what the LORD called me to do a few months ago…During thanksgiving time I don’t remember if I mentioned that me and my family handed out Thanksgiving dinners to the homeless…Well, we did and it was a blessing for our boys to see what a blessing they can be to people in need…That’s what it’s about, isn’t it?  

So Thanksgiving Day after my run, I go into my neighborhood Walmart to pick up a few things for the day.  I see this sweet young girl (I’ll call her: Diamond) at the register, but couldn’t tell if she was pregnant or wearing a big sweatshirt (You know how some of these kids dress these days).  So I asked.  She answered with a big smile and said, “Yes, I’m pregnant.” Awwww, your first baby too? How awesome! I replied.  I proceeded to ask Diamond what she was doing for Thanksgiving, she told me nothing she was working.  I didn’t like that answer so I asked if she was at least going to have a Thanksgiving meal, again no.  Well, I still didn’t like that answer so I told her I would bring her some food in a few hours…I knew we were already preparing meals to hand out for our day, so why not one more, right?

So long story short, we became friends…Well, she’s old enough to be my daughter…I’m good with that…She knows JESUS, Yay, but is in much need of some direction…Being single, pregnant, no car, and living in the “ghetto” can be difficult…I feel drawn to her because she has such a sweet spirit about her…She really is trying not to live that “ghetto” life-style… She has managed to get a job, take the bus to work (pregnant) and save money for a car… Every one of her family members and friends take advantage of her trying to get money out of her…It’s sad…
As we have conversations about life, we always seem to get drawn back to how the LORD orchestrated this relationship…And now I know why…

I threw Diamond a baby shower and invited all her family and friends…Some friends from my church met Diamond and wanted to be a part of the baby shower too…They are so sweet and have tremendous hearts…It’s amazing to me how the LORD orchestrates these details in our lives and half of them we don’t even see…My friends get all gitty knowing they could bless others and talk about the Gospel…Now that’s a party…So here we are lovin on Diamond and her family talking, eating having a good ol’ time…We meet Ruthie…She is Jewish, we Christians are drawn immediately…GODS chosen people, I love them!  Ruthie was just a happy lady that fit right in with all the conversations…And that was it, end of shower…So I thought….

I was growing weary with Diamond and didn't feel like up to talking, directing or discipling her...Last Thursday morning the LORD drew me to Zechariah 4:10 “Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin” I meditated on that all morning thinking, hmmm, obedience to the little things, the LORD rejoices because HE sees the big picture…OK, I get it, small beginnings…

I went to my church that morning and was stopped by the children's ministry director…He told me a woman name Ruthie walked into the church to ask if the church would do a service for her husband…"How did you find us, Ruthie?" "Oh, I was invited to a baby shower and felt so drawn to the women at the shower."  "I wanted to know if the church can do the funeral services for my husband, he passed away a few days ago."   
Little obedience, big HOLY SPIRIT!

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:8-10
 

1 comment:

  1. How awesome is God! How blessed we are when God uses us!

    ReplyDelete